[pct-l] pack materials-Tom and Kurt

Thanks for your imput regarding the materials used in the stays. I was able
to get in touch with Wayne Gregory of Gregory Mountain Products last night.
They, unlike the  laminate of carbon fiber weave that was used in the '97
Summit Series packs (and what seems more prevalant in other products today),
the stays that were provided me are graphite/carbon fiber, a non-weave
version sandwiched to a phelolic (sp) resin mid layer. As the story goes,
Wayne had a lot of returns of these '97 packs due to a manufacturing
problems with the stays from his supplier. Now all his packs, regardless of
the line, are using 7075 aluminum (I don't recall the temper). The stays he
provided me are supposedly stays he includes on packs for sponsored
expeditions.

When I returned my defective Robson, I learned they just manufactured a new
pack called the "Thru-Hiker" at about half the cost of the Robson, and about
a pound less in weight. I requested that my hydration system and some carbon
fiber stays be included in a trade (in an attempt to break-even in my
dollars spent), rather than tearing apart the new Robson and adding more
weight to fix a faulty material used in the back panel.

For everyone else, keep an eye out for this new "Thru Hiker" pack. It may
not of hit the stores yet, but I know Campmor carries it. My large pack
weighs about 5 pounds and carries around 5200 ci. It's a no frills pack. No
sleeping bag compartment, lighter materials used throughout, two large mesh
pockets on the bottom sides, and a bungie cord arangement on the back for
lashing, retailing around $225 or so. I'm told next year they will be
integrating the light and super strong Spectra ripstop more into their packs,
 this one might be included (although I'm sure the price would increase
dramatically).