Re: [pct-l] weathercarrot and sam-i-am on the pct

Michael Henderson wrote:

> spent a little over 24 hrs, from sat afternoon to sunday eve, collecting
> weathercarrot and sam-i-am from various sacramento transportation termini,
> feeding them, getting them to the grocery store, providing boxes, tape and
> markers for mail drops and getting them to the trailhead at donner pass for
> their 2/3 pct hike.  weathercarrot decided not to attempt a full thruhike
> what with all the snow the high sierra has had.  he was still a little
> nervous at all the snow we could see from the car on the way up.  and,
> since this is his first 'new' trail since 1991, he was as excited as if he
> were seeing the first white blaze at springer.
>
> i hiked the 3 miles between hwy 40 and I-80 with them, negotiating a small
> but steep patch of snow in the first 400 yds.  they weren't too keen to see
> that, but after i kick-stepped my way up and across in sneakers without
> much of a second thought, they followed easily.  after that it was piece of
> cake to I-80.  i think weathercarrot said "hmmm, nice smooth trail" no less
> than 3 times as we negotiated the plentiful switchbacks.  sam-i-am, whose
> total lifetime experience of california was the previous 24 hrs, was blown
> away by the scenery; "why the hell is everyone on the AT instead of out
> here?" she mused.

Mike -
Just got a phone call from Weathercarrot & Sam - they're in Sierra
City.  Lots of snow - down to 7500' on the south slopes and 7000' on the
north slopes.  He's  still excited and not nearly as nervous about the
snow now that he's lived with it for a couple days. He says it still
looks like mid-winter up there.  They figure 4-5 more days to Belden.
Says the trail itself is a lot like the best of the AT in terms of
difficulty - well-graded and relatively easy except for the snow.  He
was very impressed with the maps and guidebooks too.  He had to learn
route finding on the spot, since there was no visible trail, and has
been able to learn map and compass skills easily since the maps are so
detailed and accurate (his words).

> it was hard not to go with them.  two more years...

We know - we hiked with Mt Roamer and Outta Chocolate not long ago.
It's really hard to wait. Eleven months for us!

Walk softly,
Jim & Ginny