[pct-l] Tahoe to Yosemite

With the run off in the Sierra so high, the Tahoe to Yosemite trail could
offer some serious obstacles.  In '77 my brother and I came across the
valley above Benson Lake flooded.  Keep in mind 1977 was one of the driest
winters on record.  The entire valley was under two feet of water.
Fortunately there was so much downed wood choking the valley floor that had
been carried into the valley forest that we were able to cross the less a
than mile distance across the valley without wading in water at all.  It
may be nearly impasseable at this time, maybe better later.  You also cross
several major creeks, streams that are more closely described as rivers
this year.

On the other hand the northern part of Yosemite offers the largest roadless
area in California and accordingly some of the wildest area.  There is a
lake that I have marked on my maps to come back to someday that sits a ways
off the trail, no visible signs of man anywhere around the lake, Canadian
geese lazing on the calm pure blue surface, ripple rings from feeding fish
slowly expanding and intersecting with one another endlessly distorting the
reflection of white clouds, blue sky and rock.  I could tell you where this
lake is, but I'd either have to kill you after or take you there in a blind
fold, (ha!)

Good hiking,

Greg "Strider" Hummel