Re: [pct-l] re: jmt in july

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, Michael Henderson wrote:

> suggest the tahoe-yosemite trail, 180 miles from tuolumne to meeks bay on
> lake tahoe.  lower elevation, shouldn't have as much problem with snow.  in
> 94 (avg snow year) i hiked it july 18 - aug 2.  all passes were completely
> clear.

I would hesitate going over Sonora Pass or the climb up to wolf Lake on the
north side of Hwy 120.  Both are very exposed, passable if you're confident
and careful.  Cindy Ross in her book about the PCT describes falling on
Sonora Pass.  I hiked up the pass from the north last year and hit only a
couple snow banks, each of which had my nerves rattling.  If you're a
thruhiker and been thru the snowy Southern Sierra, that's one thing.  Unless
you're confident and been in exposed situations before, the TYT is no less
dangerous in places than the JMT.

Jeffrey Olson
Seattle, Washington...where summer arrives on the fifth of july...