[pct-l] re: jmt in july

michael wann wrote:

>>>   My wife and I were planning on hiking the John Muir Trail starting in
the
third week of July.  From what I understand, there still is significant
amounts of snow that would more than likely require an ice ax.  My wife and
I are both relatively inexperienced hikers and are a bit wary of hiking a
dangerous trail without the ability to recognize danger when we see it.  So,
does anyone have any predictions on whether or not the JMT will still be
snow bound in the second half of July and, if so, does anybody have a
recommendation for a good alternative two to three week hike.  Thank you in
advance for any information.   <<<

i have not done any extensive snow depth research like others here, nor
have i actually been to the jmt area yet this year, but from what i HAVE
seen of snow levels, july would be a snowy time to hike the jmt.  i would
suggest the tahoe-yosemite trail, 180 miles from tuolumne to meeks bay on
lake tahoe.  lower elevation, shouldn't have as much problem with snow.  in
94 (avg snow year) i hiked it july 18 - aug 2.  all passes were completely
clear.  walked on a little snow heading north from dicks pass in the
desolation wilderness.  dicks pass is likely to have more snow this year,
but should be fine (don't forget to hike up the ridge, east, before heading
down the north side), and the only other pass that might have snow is
benson pass.  dicks is around 9000' and benson around 10000'.  it's a great
trail, little used but well marked for the most part, so you should find
great solitude.  wilderness press has a guide book.  good luck!

mike
ke kaahawe   AT92 TYT94 PCT2000
mikeh@royalrobbins.com