Re: [pct-l] sierra or sierras

At 01:35 PM 6/29/98 -0700, Kevin wrote:

>The Sierra Nevada mountain range is the longest running mountain range
>in the continental united states. Unlike the other major mountain
>ranges in the US, the Sierra is a continuous range from end to end.
>For this reason(I think), they are known only as the Sierra and not
>the Sierras as it is often written. The Rockies, on the other hand,
>are made up of several smaller ranges(eg: Bitterroot and Wasatch) and
>therefore are known as the Rockies.

I disagree Kevin.  We had this discussion in another group I'm in
(Abbeyweb).  People generally refer to all mountain ranges, even small
ones, with the plural ending.  Common usage.  For example, the Uintas, the
Bitterroots, the La Sals, the Cascades, etc.  However, Old fuddy duddies
(just kidding) and John Muir (whom I admire greatly) always refer to the
Sierra Nevada as the the "Sierra."  Some sort of strange reverence, I
think.  As for me, I'm going backpacking in the "Sierras."

Don