[pct-l] sierra or sierras

The Sierra Nevada mountain range is the longest running mountain range
in the continental united states. Unlike the other major mountain
ranges in the US, the Sierra is a continuous range from end to end.
For this reason(I think), they are known only as the Sierra and not
the Sierras as it is often written. The Rockies, on the other hand,
are made up of several smaller ranges(eg: Bitterroot and Wasatch) and
therefore are known as the Rockies. I only wrote this because I just
got back a geology paper I wrote at school, in which the teacher
wasn't to happy about my misuse of Sierra and I had to complain to
somebody! Thanks for listening!

Kevin-