[pct-l] Tents? Tarps? Bivy Sacks?

I was talking to someone the other day about my plans to hike the PCT in
the near future.  He suggested that I shouldn't take a tent if I hike
during the summer months, it wasn't worth the weight.  To me this seems
totally odd, since I've always taken a tent with me when I go
backpacking.  I've heard of people using tarps and bivy sacks on the
PCT, but wouldn't that get kind of lousy during the rain?  What about
mosquitoes?  If I did use a tarp, does anyone have any recommendations
for a size? (6' x 8' maybe?)

Thanks,

Natasha Sullivan
Boulder, CO