[pct-l] RE: pct-l-digest V1 #517

Hey, I am looking for information on the passes in the Sierras..
wondering if there might be any estimates as to how long it will be before
some of the higher alpine areas can be reached. I wanted to hike a section
of the PCT... or maybe the John Muir trail but it's sounding like I should
put this off until August? I am wondering about the PCT from the Emigrant
Wilderness and Sonora Pass down to Sequoia and Mt.Whitney.  I am a native
Coloradoan and this is my first season hiking the Sierras... I have heard
that there is 200% snowfall, but what does that mean? How deep? Are we
talking needing snow shoes maybe even into August? If there are sections of
the trail inbetween these passes that can be hiked without lots of snow?
	Any suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated! Thanks, Tamara Turner
(tamara@museworld.com)