Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 23:16:44 -0700
From: Dave Gomberg <gomberg@wcf.com>
Subject: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #512

At 12:00 AM 6/9/98 -0500, Tom wrote:
>2. Elevations around 11,000-11,500' have about 50" of snow and are just
>beginning to melt. I believe that they will melt at an average around 1"
>per day leaving 11,000-11,500' with 20" of snow [as water] on July 4.
>
>3. I predict that 11,000-11,500 will be snow free about July 25.

And Tom, what do you predict for Forester Pass (13,200) and Trail Crest
(13,500)?

Snow free in '99 if you are lucky?

- --
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco            mailto:gomberg@wcf.com
FormMaestro                              <http://www.wcf.com>
* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info http://www.hack.net/lists
*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 00:41:30 -0700
From: ECA <echavez@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: [pct-l] JMT Trail Guide

At 12:00 AM 6/8/98 -0500,  Allan Gould asked:
>Planning a hike on JMT in Sept (permit-permitting)
>Wondering if there's a handbook for the JMT, or whether
>it's best to just use the relevant sections PCT handbook

The JMT guide book by Thomas Winnett is okay, but I used another
guidebook which I find is much better:

The John Muir Tail by Don & Robera Lowe.

The book describes the JMT North to South.  I prefer it to the Winnett
guidebook cause it has good descriptions of side trails, trips and
viewpoints.  It also has good pictures, many of which I tried to find on
the JMT.  One picture in particular is on page 47, called the "Laughing
Rock" in Evolution Basin.  Of the people who I met at Muir Pass, no one
seemed to notice the rock, except for me.  The book has good topo maps,
elevation profiles and a stat section in the back.  Check it out.

Ernest Chavez