[pct-l] re: JMT guide, etc.

Elliot,
   My suggestions are to keep posted here and at weather web sites to check
on snow levels, consider a lower elevation trail like the Theodore Solomons
(sp?) Trail, give it a shot with an ice axe and possibly crampons, or try to
arrange for a later trip. I'm holding my breath that my JMT hike, starting
about August 21st will be feasible. Bringing ice axes this year won't be
question for my wife and I, even in late August.

My only concern with the Winnett guide to the JMT is the scant information
for southbound thru-hikers. One has to read the northbound section to get
the details for trip planning. I've been supplementing the Winnett book with
the Star's (Starr's?) Guide to the JMT by the Sierra Club. My only complaint
about the Star's guide, is it keeps getting thicker and heavier each year.

-Ken Marlow