[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #508

Re; Snow on the JMT section of the PCT

I crossed both Burro and Mule Pass last year in mid-August. It was not fun
but not dangerous. This year I plan a traverse of the southern sierra and
am watching the snow level closely.
1. Going North , Forrester Pass is the problem. It is at 13,200'. The best
barometer is the snow sensor at Upper Tyndall Creek (11,500). On May 22 it
had 45" [of water 90" of snow]. On June 5 it shows 38.5" of water. The
weather, however, is getting warmer. Forrester often has snow all year
because of its north-south orientation but, unless the Upper Tyndall Creek
sensor shows NO SNOW, methinks it is crampons and Ice axe.

On the plus side, Chagoopa Plateau at 10,200 is down to less than 4"

There is a possible detour. Take Shephard Pass then hitch or walk to the
Kearsarge Pass trailhead and cross Kearsarge the Glen Pass, skipping
Forrester. Charlotte lake still has 49" of snow [as water] but it and Glen
will be clear long before Forrester.

FYI: For those thinking of taking an ice axe and/or crampons, I found a 13
oz axe for $60 and some wonderfil walking crampons [no front points], 13oz,
$90. Email me if you need more info