[pct-l] Food and Bears

This submission is from an AT hiker who does not pretend to understand
PCT bears.  I am only relating what happened to us.

In September of '95 we hiked the John Muir Trail.  The first few nights
we hung our food.  We would awaken to the sound of a bear climbing our
food tree and drive him away by throwing rocks and banging our cook pot.
A few hours later the same bear would come back again on his way home and
we would repeat the performance.

Crossing Donahue Pass we met Felix Cramer, who had hiked the JMT 10 times
and was on the return leg of a yo-yo.  We had hiked together a while when
Felix suggested we camp overlooking Thousand Island Lake.  I said we
can't camp here because there are no trees big enough to hang our food.
Felix said he never hangs his food but sleeps with it and never has any
trouble.

So that's what we did for the rest of the hike, sometimes in our tent and
sometimes under the stars, and we never had any trouble either.

Larry McDuff

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]