Re: [pct-l] PCT Snow Conditions

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998 Charcholla@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of snow conditions along the PCT north
> of Sierra City?

My friend was up near Yuba City over Memorial Day weekend and says the
snow was from 5500' and up.

> Friends and I plan to hike about 100 miles beginning in the 4th week of June.
> We would consider any PCT section from Sierra City to the OR/CA border
> (Sections M through R). What is the most likely section to be snow-free or
> "nearly so?"  Are there sections that one should definitely avoid because of
> snow or other known factors? What about snow through the Sierra Buttes?

Give the choice, I'd start somewhere north of Sierra City. Either, the
Quincy-La Porte Rd., Black Rock Creek trailhead, or Bucks Summit.
There's a few nasty lingering snow fields about two days north of
Sierra City on the north facing bowl of Gibralter Peak. In '95 when I
hiked this area in August, there were several steep snow fields 50-100
yards wide. Last year in July, there was nothing. I didn't have an ice
axe in '95 and darn near put myself in the hospital when I slipped
crossing one of these.

> When (exactly) is the biker weekend in Beldon Town? I've heard it is the
> second weekend of July. Can anyone confirm this?
>
> Is it reasonable to expect less snow as one approaches the OR/CA border? I
> would appreciate any suggestions. We are in the planning stages now, but would
> like to have a definite destination (and perhaps, an alternate one as well) in
> mind.

I'd be worth making some phone calls to talk to somebody up in that
area. The people at the La Porte store have been very helpful in the
past.

BTW, I stayed at the La Porte Hotel in '95. It's was built back in the
1870s and had plenty of ghost stories and tall tales associated with
it. The folks running it were very friendly and I'd highly recommend
the place even if it is a long ways off the trail.

-Karl

Karl 'Birdman Brandt PCT97                             (650) 725-3686
http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~kbrandt/