[pct-l] Re: bear bagging

>From: Laqua Nick <Nick.Laqua@hl.siemens.de>
>Subject: [pct-l] renting bearboxes
>

>As I read, this year there are a lot of bear activities in Yosemite
>and it is strongly recommended to use bear boxes instead of
>counterbalancing the food.

So shouldn't your first question be: "what makes this year any more
active than any other?" This is once again armchair ranger policy
bullshit that has been an annual issue for the last ten years (or
whenever the first Garcia canister was on the market). Your desk job
rangers, particularly the ones in Yosemite, will argue until they're
blue in the face over this issue (and don't bring up the dispersement
of stones around a fire ring if you really desire to get their blood
boiling). Of course the suggested, but yet implemented, policy is to
protect the bears from our own stupidity and, yes, due to our high
rate of predictable stupidity the bear canister argument favors the
ranger.

Education and information retention is another alternative. Bears are
more desperate for food before hibernation. So late Sept., Oct. and
November are your worst months for bears attempting to meet their
caloric intake before hibernation. If you hike in Lyell Canyon during
this time, as I do since no one else is there, you'll witness the
"suicide bears". Lyell Canyon is legendary for bear problems. On the
JMT the Thousand Island Lake area and Deer Creek area are known for
some bear activity. Kings Canyon and Sequoia are equipped with Bear
Boxes for your convenience.

For 31 years I've used the counter balanced technique and have never
lost a thing. My hiking and climbing partner wrote a far too detailed
article on bear bagging. You can read it at:
http://www.sierra-trails.com/atcovers.htm

I did think Joe Filip's suggestion regarding the sock was absolutely
brilliant. I've nearly brained my partner a number of times when the
rock dislodges from my rushed rope wrapping method; furthermore,
throwing straight up does a number on the old pitching shoulder. I've
never been able to get the old David sling Goliath throw down.

A walking and a talking.
Dave

        Dave Encisco
        dencisco@rotorwiz.arc.nasa.gov