Re: [pct-l] renting bearboxes

>3.) Using at least 50 feet of 500#test nylon rope (I use parachute cord),
>tie one end of the rope to a baseball sized rock.  While holding onto the
>other end of the rope, throw the rock over the branch (This usually takes
>at least five tries, and results in a lot of joking about one's athletic
>prowess ;-) ).  The rope should go over the branch at least five feet from
>the trunk.

I carry an old sock with me. I put the rock inside the sock. Then I tie the
rope to the sock and throw it over the branch.  My number of direct hits
has gone up tremendously since using this method.
And yes there sure is a lot of jokes still to this day between myself and
my wife about our early days of bear bagging. Maybe some people on the list
would like to share some of there interesting experiences about bear bagging.
Have fun,

Joe