> > > From: Birgitte Jensen <bjensen4@juno.com>
> > > To: jpcm@merconet.com.br
> > > Subject: fwd
> > > Date: Quarta-feira, 20 Maio, 1998 6:49 PM
> > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, Andy --- WHY???

She doesn't need you to forward anything - she's still on the list, as
is Dave Gomberg. At least they were as of 1900 EDT today.  Now what's
the beef here?  Maybe that they got told they were out of line?  Why is
that a surprise?  They were both using the list for personal attacks on
each other. I don't need to wade through that mess and I don't think
others on the list did either.  Haven't seen this much garbage since the
since the cell phone war on atml last year.

Fact is they both have problems - BJ has an overactive kneejerk reaction
about following the "rules".  I could live with that - she just needs to
learn that not all rules are reasonable or necessary -- or properly or
judiciously applied. And that some of us are thruhikers who won't buy
the "rules are always good and should be followed" philosophy.

Gomberg lost me when he started the Trail Nazi stuff - too many of the
males in my family left too much blood and too many body parts in Europe
fighting the REAL Nazis for me to appreciate his casual use of the
word.  I consider it an insult to those who bled and died there for him
or anyone else to use it out of context like that.

And then there are the others - you know, the ones who decided that
Brick was at fault.  He did what any GOOD list-admin would do ----- he
WARNED them.  PRIVATELY.  He did NOT kick them off the list - he did NOT
embarrass them in public - and he did NOT limit expression of opinion or
freedom of speech. He DID, very frankly, short-circuit a flame war. I'm
irritated enough that ALL parties to this last "rules" discussion were
about to find themselves flamed to a well done turn. Thank you, Brick.

As for Bill Kristy's comment -
> Posting private email is indeed against nettiquite.  But the email BJ
> quoted was an email from Brick-as-List-Admin, not Brick-as-individual!

There is no "but".  It's simply bad nettiquette, regardless of what hat
Brick was wearing - and BJ owes him an apology.  Period. And Bill owes
him an apology for stating otherwise.

So far I've seen a lot of people make a lot of assumptions about what's
happened here - and only a few ask the question - What DID happen?  For
those who have left the list -- that's your loss. Some of us are sorry
to  see you go, but if you run your lives on the basis of bad
assumptions without getting the facts, then you've a hard row to hoe in
the future. Life is hard enough when you make the effort to get the
facts before you  make decisions.  It gets a whole lot harder when you
make decisions based on unfounded assumptions.

Now let's blow away another of your assumptions - I'm a lot more
sensitive about this issue than most of you can imagine because I left
Wingfoot's ATML list in December last year - and then found that I was
was permanently banned from the list when I tried to resubscribe in
January - no reason, no warning. And that was after he begged me not to
leave because I was "a valued member of the list" and my input was
"needed".  So don't give me this "you don't know how it feels" stuff.
Or as Bill puts it -

> Right on.  Can there be real discussion here if people have to watch
> what they say for fear of being "disappeared"?

If you want THAT feeling - try ATML.  But if you have it on pct-l, then
you have a problem - and an overactive imagination. Try some discussion
without the personal vendettas - it works.

Walk softly,
Jim