Re: [pct-l] JMT permits

The question was asked,

> anyone know if its still possible to get a permit for the mt.whitney zone
for
> late august/early september? what about the yosemite permits?
> also, whats the deal on these "required" bear cannisters? "required"
meaning
> you get kicked out if you dont have one, or that you get a pat on the
head
> from the inyo rangers? is stealth camping not a possibility bc of this?

I called down there last Friday and snagged a single person permit for
August 6th.  I feel lucky since the full moon is the 8th.  Ask what they
have open, not for a specific date.  Like said earlier, sometimes showing
up and waiting is ok. but chancy.

I don't like the permit structure since I fastpack and will be up and over
Whitney and many miles beyond the first night, but have to contend with all
the day hikers and overnighters.  But there is not really any other choice
if you want to start at the Portal.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
Author:  FIXING YOUR FEET: Preventive Maintenance and Treatments for Foot
Problems of Runners, Hikers, and Adventure Racers.
http://www.footworkpub.com (check out the book here)
Race Director:  Ohlone Wilderness 50KM Trail Run