Re: [pct-l] Trail Conditions

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Ripperton, Matt A wrote:

>Some of the recent trail condition reports have caught my attention.  I've
>heard that not only has the snow not melted, but in some places it's STILL
>snowing in southern Cal.  Is this really true?  I was planning to start from
>the border on May 23 & get to Agua Dulce in about 4 weeks.  I'm curious to
>hear what others think about those plans and their feasibility.  Will I be
>able to get through?  Will I need more than just an ice axe?  Will I need
>snowshoes?  Crampons?  I've been planning and looking forward to this for a
>long time, and I would hate to postpone, but the possibility of getting out
>there & then not being able to hike really frightens me.  Four weeks of
>vacation and a plane ticket from NC are not easy to come by!   -Ajax
>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info http://www.hack.net/lists *

My guess is that this late in the year, once the weather breaks, it is
really going to warm up. I have seen some late May/early June snow
melts that have take 1 foot + plus of depth per day. Of course if mama
nature keeps blowing these Gulf of Alaska beauties through California,
we might be skiing in august. In my opinion, I still wouldn't worry
about your start date yet, but of course I would keep a watchful eye
on the weather channel.

Kevin-