Date:    Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:13:33 -0700
From:    Karl King <kking@EXECPC.COM>
Subject: Re: the other side [ XP ]

A guy who did a run around the perimeter of Lake Michigan a few years
ago came to me for advice on energy input and anything else that might
help him ( he was not an ultra runner of very experienced runner, for
that matter ).  One of the things I told him was to not get depressed if
he felt great fatigue on days 3 through 5 because his body would adapt
thereafter.  I wrote this all down so he wouldn't have to rely on his
memory.

On the third night he was in bad shape and ready to cash it in.  In
desparation he pulled out the sheet I'd written for him and refreshed
his memory.  He took the advice and went on to finish his round-the-lake
run.  He told me afterward that once past the third and fourth days he
picked up dramatically.

The phenomenon is common in those who do such multi-day events.  As I
recall, Dr. David Horton had the same experience on his Applachian Trail
run.  Perhaps the good Dr. will share his experiences with us.

Karl King
kking@execpc.com