[pct-l] just for fun--quotes from the phantom tollbooth

Hi All,

I just finished re-reading a book I probably last read when I was in grade
school: The Phantom Tollbooth.  It's not necessarily a book about the
outdoors, but it's a book of adventure, and so the things it says are very
good to read after being out on one of the greatest adventures of all--the
PCT.  In the last few pages there is a section that, even if a bit
whimsical, struck me as the basis for topics that we talk about here on
this list alot--preservation, consideration (of others and how our actions
out there affect others and the place itself), and gaining the knowledge to
do things 'right' before we get out there.   By it, I was surprised,
tickled, wanted to share--maybe someone will go to the library and pick up
this great book, and read it, and/or read it to their kids.  It's a
fabulous story.

"You may not see it now," said the Princess of Pure Reason, looking
knowingly at Milo's puzzled face, "but whatever we learn has a purpose and
whatever we do affects everything and everyone else, if even in the tiniest
way.  Why, when a housefly flaps his wings, a breeze goes round the world;
when a speck of dust falls to the ground, the entire planet weighs a little
more; and when you stamp your foot, the earth moves slightly off its
course....And it's much the same thing with knowledge, for whenever you
learn something new, the whole world becomes that much richer."

and for those of us who have already walked some or all of the PCT:

"And remember, also," added the Princess of Sweet Rhyme, "that many places
you would like to see are just off the map and many things you want to know
are just out of sight or a little beyond you reach.  But someday you'll
reach them all, for what you learn today, for no reason at all, will help
you discover all the wonderful secrets of tomorrow."

"....what you can do is often simply a matter of what you WILL do."  IOW'S
a little courage goes a long way.

happy walking, folks!

jcapellari@mcione.com