[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #432

John Vonhof wrote that he covered the JMT from Mt. Whitney to someplace in
8-plus days.  John, what was your destination?  My wife and I are planning
to hike from Mt. Whitney to Tuolumne Meadows on the PCT, and down to
Yosemite Lodge in 14 -15 days.  As far as I can see from my maps, the PCT
and the JMT are the same trail for most of the way.  Can we expect to make
the 13 - 14 miles per day that such a trip will require, assuming we are
otherwise fit enough, or is such a daily mileage unreasonable, given the
terrain and trail conditions?

On the "flame war" between Mr. Gomberg and Ms. Jensen, I would just like to
observe that a written policy statement from the Feds is all well and good,
but if there's a fire they may just change their policy retroactively (which
they MAY be able to do under the Code of Federal Regulations).  And the
arguments that policy can be fought out in the courts is not necessarily
true, and if true, may be prohibitively expensive for an individual
defendant litigating against the United States.  Also, the courts may decide
to defer to the Forest Service and let their administrative hearing
procedures be determinative.  Bottom line:  the courts are very good at
assiging responsibility, but only after the damage has already been done.
No offense to anyone:  Gomberg's idea sounds interesting and Jensen's
concerns are legitimate.