Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #427

Joshua Grindle asked,

> Advice needed:
> For a novice backpacker wanting to do the John Muir trail who has the
choice
> of a June trip or September trip, which is recommended. And will an ice
ax
> be needed for this section of the PCT?

I did the JMT in 1987 beginning September 3rd from Mt. Whitney.  We took
8.5 days to do the trail with 30 pound packs.  This year I am looking at
about September 1st for the same type of trip--but am considering going to
Echo Summit as an extension.

Still have to pare down my equipment list to about 20 pounds.  My concern
is the trade-off in a pack that weighs 4 pounds but fits and ride great
versus a lighter pack that does not fit or ride as good.

John Vonhof
vonhof@pacbell.net
Author:  FIXING YOUR FEET: Preventive Maintenance and Treatments for Foot
Problems of Runners, Hikers, and Adventure Racers.
http://www.footworkpub.com (check out the book here)
Race Director:  Ohlone Wilderness 50KM Trail Run