[pct-l] October Snow in North Cascades

We've all been talking about snow pack in the Sierras being the big
controlling factor in whether to hike this year.  Jardine warns us of
the onset of winter in the Washington Cascades, so we all rush to
finish the trip before October.  But has anyone ever been turned
around by a early winter storm in the North Cascades?  If we stretch
our minds, can't we do a little fall hiking?  Although it would be
nice to hike only in the sunny summer months, I don't have a problem
with hiking into fall.

I know hiking in the rainy fall months can be a real drag for out of
staters, but in Washington, hiking in the rain is a way of life.
 Couldn't a person just carry extra provisions and more winter gear
and stretch the hike out into mid to late October?  I'm by no means an
expert on thru hiking and its requirements, nor am I accustomed to
hiking long distances in potentially dangerous conditions, but I can't
help but wonder...  I don't want to get killed or end up on the 5
o'clock news, but why can't we hike in October?

TednDeb
PCT 98 - youbetcha