[pct-l] Poopin in the woods book..

   The Poopin in the woods book is also at http://www.barnesandnoble.com -
and I don't work for them, either...

David Crosby

http://www.hack.net/lists *

> [...]
>to a couple of sporting goods stores in the East
>Bay and they all suggested Alpine Skills
>International at Donner Summit. I called them, but
>their first course offering isn't until May 2 (I
>kind of have other plans that day). Any ideas?
>
>PS. Pray for dry weather.
>
>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 18 Feb 98 23:04:00 -0500
>From: "Jeffrey Grinnell" <grinnell@capital.net>
>Subject: Re: [pct-l] Stove Fuel Accidents
>
>On Wed, 18 Feb 1998 13:57:34 -0800, Greg Hummel wrote:
>
>>The moral of the story is:  If you choose to cook inside your tent due to
>>weather you had better be extremely careful.
>
>I think some care should be exercised when cooking inside a shelter as well.
>
>While hiking the AT in '95 I found myself at the Mt Collins shelter in the
>Great Smoky Mountains National Park the same day a crew from "Good Morning
>America" was there to shoot footage of AT hikers for a National Park series.
>
>One of the crew members fired up a white gas stove that has an integrated
>fuel tank below the burner (don't recall the model) inside the shelter.  He
>was standing on the floor of the shelter with the stove on the top bunk
>level; just about eye level.  Well, there apparently was a leak in the tank,
>maybe he didn't seal the refill port tight, and soon there were flames
>shooting out the back of the stove's fuel tank.  The guy didn't see it until
>I pointed it out to him and in the next instant the stove was a mass of
>flames.
>
>He had set the stove up on a heavy piece of plastic so grabbing hold of the
>plastic he quickly lowered the stove to the shelter's dirt floor.  By now
>there were flames shooting many feet above the stove licking at the packs
>all neatly suspended overhead.   Seeing the dilema he snapped the plastic
>sheet taught and flung the stove outside the door of the shelter.  This huge
>flaming ball bounced directly between the rest of the gang standing around
>the fire pit just outside the shelter door.  Amazingly nobody was hit and
>the mass of flames was quickly extinguished.
>
>It all happened quite quickly and it taught me never to underestimate the
>potential damage one could cause with a white gas stove.   Sadly the camera
>man wasn't shooting at the time.  I would have paid for a copy of that
>footage.  :)
>
>Jeff
>
>"Wired"
>AT '95 - '96
>CT '97

>A volunteer for the "Olympus Mons Summit Expedition" - Mars 2005
>
>Jeffrey Grinnell            <grinnell@capital.net>
>

>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info
http://www.hack.net/lists *

>End of pct-l-digest V1 #394
>
>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info

David J. Crosby, C-G Technology, San Jose, CA 95113-1295, USA
Phone: 408 259 0873   Fax: 408 729 6642   Pager: 408 697 8885
   e-mail:  cgdavid@ix.netcom.com   Skypager 800 482 8874
Automation, handling, contactors, test, and thermal systems
      for the semiconductor and related industries