[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[pct-l] Stove Fuel Accidents

Back in '77 a group of four guys burned up a four man tent in a stove fuel
accident.  Three guys were in the tent, one lighting the stove (a Svea as I
recall), one near the door and one on the opposite side of the stove from
the door.  The guy lighting the stove somehow screwed up and the stove
fireballed immediately catching the tent on fire and badly scorching the
face of the lighter.  The guy near the door rolled out, the lighter
scrambled out and the third guy watched as the flames engulfed the tent
racing at him.  A knife happened to be open next to him and he was able to
cut his way out of the tent before it burned him and consumed the entire
tent.  They were extremely lucky that the only injuries were the loss of
eye brows and eye lashes and a little hair on the lighter.  They were also
lucky that weather conditions were not severe.  The hiked out the next day
and replaced the tent.

The moral of the story is:  If you choose to cook inside your tent due to
weather you had better be extremely careful.

Greg "Strider" Hummel
* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List | For info http://www.hack.net/lists *