[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #368

At 12:00 AM 1/25/1998 -0600, Karen wrote:
>What altitude were you at for the experimental meal?

950 feet.  So 10k cooking times should be even longer!  My guess is that at
10K you should boil for 10 minutes, rest for 10 minutes.   But SAMPLE!  And
remember that at the end of the trip you MAY need less cooking time than
you did at the beginning due to the pasta picking up atmospheric moisture.

>And what was Ray's recommended cooking time?

Five minutes after boil, then eat.

>Ray may have used less water due to having a small pot (weight
>consideration) or little water (filtering time/energy consideration) -
>though, for myself, if I'm boiling the water on the trail (and it's not too
>full of yucky-looking stuff), I don't filter).

The biggest problem was the lack of water.  Ray thinks elbows take a lot
less.  I think his pasta may have picked up a lot of moisture in storage.
--
Dave Gomberg	gomberg@wcf.com
FormMaestro  <http://www.wcf.com>