[pct-l] re: Ted's Questions

Boots: Never had that problem of feet swelling on the trail. If anything I
find myself tightening my laces a couple times throughout the day. In '82,
had two pairs of Richales Montagnas (one pair waiting for me at Timberline
Lodge). Both were broken-in before hand. They worked great. Insides of the
first pair rotted out in the heal and nearby interior stictching. Outsides
were in fairly good shape. I've got crummy ankles, I'll continue to stick
with the heavier boots.

Tics: Worst spot was comming off the north side of the San Gabriels, heading
to the desert (before the permanent trail swung over through the Tehachapis.
Wore shorts and could feel them on me before they had time to burro in. I'm
really surprized some didn't.

Maps: In my food drops were supplementary Forest Service maps. I appreciated
the map exent the F.S. maps provided to each side of the narrow strip maps.
I rarely used them though. The only place they came in handy was when I got
going in the wrong direction on a logging road in Oregon. Along the logging
road, attached to trees were markers that coincided very accurately with the
(township, range, and section (?)  grids of the F.S. maps. A nail was driven
through the marker indicating the exact position within the grid cell. These
maps would come in handy for an emergency evacuation as well. There were
many days of snow travel, that I relied on  map and compass bearings for
navigation, particularly in densely wooded, snow-covered areas.

Ken A. Marlow, GIS Analyst
National Geographic Maps (NGMaps)
email: kmarlow@ngs.org