[pct-l] Namie Bacile

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Charlie Jones wrote:

>Anyone,

>Does anyone know for sure whether the hiker, who completed the AT earlier in
>'97 and was hiking the PCT N-to-S, ever reached the southern terminus at
>Campo? I saw the newspaper article about his plan, but I forgot the hiker's
>name.

I got a phone message at the PCTA office Sunday from Namie Bacile saying he
was calling it quits.  He is the one who started the year by hiking the
Appalachian Trail S-to-N then coming out to the PCT, starting in Canada and
heading south.  He made it to Tuolumne Meadows (actually to Donahue Pass
before turning around and heading back to Tuolumne Meadows) then hitch-hiked
down the Owens Valley to Kennedy Meadows and continued hiking south.  He was
in Mojave about a week or so ago but didn't say where he was at the time he
got off the trail for good.  He said there was a lot of troublesome snow and
he just wasn't having fun anymore.

Joe at the PCTA office