Re: [pct-l] the horse wars

At 08:38 AM 10/14/97 PDT, you wrote:
>At 10:21 PM 10/13/97 PDT, brick@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>I wonder if someone could answer me on this one.
>
>Are there any through hikers who have seen both horse damage AND logging
>who think that all this effort should be expended on arguing about horses
>on the trail?

Having encountered both horses and logging not just on the PCT, but on a
wide variety of trails and under differing conditions, and being an
Oregonian, there's simply no contest in my mind.  Logging -- as presently
practiced -- leads to far more and longer-term damage, hands down.  Yes,
some packers are rude, picket their stock right next to water sources, etc.,
but most I've met have been courteous and lawful.  Frankly, there are hikers
who do as much damage as horses.  And, even worse in my experience, are
free-roaming cattle, as far as polluting water sources, overgrazing fragile
areas, and damage to the trail (where they have access to it).

Kelly Flowers
kkflower@students.wisc.edu