RE: [pct-l] Forest Service to charge recreation fees

Joe,

All most all of the trails we hike on were build at government expense.  In
the past I had often seen paid crews out building trail.  Unfortunately,
with the current anti-government feelings in the country causing massive
cut-backs in federal funding, trail maintenance and construction has been
hit hard as "non-essential."  In the national forests today I only see only
a very over worked staff.

At the nearest Forrest to where I live they used to have 25 summer
employees doing trail work.  Now they have just 1 trainee!  Until we can
restore funding expect to see more user fees and fewer trails maintained.
We also all need to do more volunteer trail maintenance with our local
outdoor clubs in the meantime.  Remember, if the backcountry becomes too
inaccessible it will become forgotten by the public and easy prey for some
to sell off the lands for clear cuts and condos.  We pay the lowest level
of taxes of any developed nation, I guess we can only expect the lowest
level of services from our government.

Scott Elliott
ScottE@ix.netcom.com