[pct-l] Could use some good advice

Hi, this is my first post.  My boyfriend, thru hiker Tom Best, invited
me to meet him in Tahoe and hike the trail for a week (hopefully, to
Sierra City if I don't slow him down too much).  I am fairly athletic,
but I'm wondering about the effects of the altitude and the type of
training I should be doing to keep up with someone who's been on the PCT
for two months (home is Austin, Texas).

 I'm also have questions about: (1) the weather in the area [July 8 -
July 15]; (2) stream crossings and conditions; (3) Bugs; (4) the minimal
amount of gear, will I need both cool and hot weather clothing, what are
the essentials for this section of the trail, etc.;  and (5) any advice
available.

I've already got a good pack and sleeping bag.

Tom's paid for the tickets and I have them in hand, so the least I can
do is be ready to hike.  Any advice ya'll can offer will be greatly
appreciated.

BTW, Tom is doing great and sends his regards. He is in Agua Dulce and
is going to take a day off to get some rest.

Thanks,
Sarah Stroman