[pct-l] RE: PCT Digest 154

Hi all-

Just finished several days of trail maintenance on section F (Hwy 58 to
Walker Pass). We cleared trail north of Golden Oak Springs. And, yes, a
bear was sighted! They seem to be out in force this year!. The trail is now
in pretty good shape. It hadn't been cleared in over five years so it was
very overgrown.

We met C.W. and Elizabeth at Golden Oak. To anybody tracking their
progress, they are fine and planned to hit Robin Bird last night.

Thanks to all the volunteers who helped and gave-up their holiday weekend.
Pete Fish, of course, Julian, Tim, Brian, Terry, Irwin, my neighbor Ed,
BLM's Dave Wash and Georgette. How 'bout some of you hikers volunteering
for a project? Fact is, if we don't do it, nobody else will!

Ernest-so glad you had a good hike. I won't say "I told you so" about the
bears! Luckily for you, they were more of a nuisance than a threat (which
is usually the case in this area). I'll talk to Dave at the BLM. Maybe we
can do something about the water sources south of Walker Pass. I think
everybody realizes that this is a real problem. Keep in touch. I'll be
hiking "vicariously" through your messages!

Happy hiking!

Carol Barrett
Tehachapi, CA
805-22-9214