Re: [pct-l] Nasty Bugs

In a message dated 97-05-20 20:24:37 EDT, kevin@hughes.net (Kevin Corcoran)
writes:

<<  Speaking of nastier insects than gnats, has anyone ever heard of any
backcountry incidents yet with Africanized honeybees which are now known to
be in Texas, Arizona and the Mojave desert of California???   >>

I can't find the recent "SandPaper" from the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
so if I might paraphrase, the article indicated the Africanized bees normally
attack in defense of their hive i.e., if you get too close, the bees may
attack. They are not 'on the prowl' looking for humans to attack, but they
will defend their hive.

The Park Ranger indicated if you are attacked, you should move at least 1/2
mile away from the area (the hive) as fast as possible. The thought is, the
bees will halt their attack when you get "far enough" away from their hive.

But, ... it's still the bees guess as to how far that really needs to be.

Charlie