Re: [pct-l] National Recreation Trails, atlist

CRAFTFAM@aol.com wrote:

> Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 16:58:57 EDT

> There are a few national programs which sponser trails through  funding,
> and/or coordination efforts.  One of these programs seems close to the
> end of its existance.  The National Recreation Trails program at the
> National Park Service seems to be in trouble.
>
> This program is the third in the triad of National Park Service
> coordinated trails programs.  The other two programs are the National
> Scenic Trails (Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail,  etc.), and the
> National Historic Trails (Lewis & Clark Trail, Oregon Trail, etc.).
>
> Should not one of the national hiking, walking, or trails clubs take on
> this program?  If it exists do we now not need it??

The problem is probably one of distinctiveness and identity.  I'm not
sure that I, as a committed hiker and walker, can differentiate between
scenic trails and recreation trails nor does the possible semantic
difference seem important.  I would suggest considering a merger of the
trail programs.