[pct-l] ticks

     Regarding the message of two ticks an hour.  I wish that was all I
     got when I hiked the PCT in section C & section D on both sides of
     the Cajon Pass on Interstate 15 in January of 1997. In these areas
     of the San Bernadino mtns on the actual trail I received more ticks
     on me than in my whole life!  I removed ticks constantly every few
     minutes.  I removed hundreds of ticks each day.  But I think why I
     had a love fest with so many ticks, is because I was the first
     hiker to pass by their hanging homes and I usually hike alone (but
     on these hikes I wouldn't of mine to have some fellow hikers with
     me).  I've hiked the whole PCT in southern Ca. in the last few
     years and I think this is the worst area.  The other sections seem
     to be okay.  I got a few tick bites and had a bullseye appear only
     once on my body.  I was told that was a sign of lyme disease so I
     went to the Doctor and had my blood tested.  I was O.K. and he told
     me he never saw a case of lyme disease in San Diego.  My suggestion
     on how to deal with these areas is to wear long pants and/or wear
     lots of "off spray" from your waist down.  Hope this helps. -
     Matthew