[pct-l] Section A/B water and trip report

Mike Springer and I hiked from Lake Morena in Section A to Hwy. 74 "The
Pines to Palms Highway" between 16 Apr and 20 Apr. Here is a trail
conditions/water report.

Water:
-Creek in Long Canyon - map A6 was flowing strongly
-Water in Burnt Ranchero Campground was off
-Water in Desert View Picnic area was on
-New water at Penny Pines (about 100 meters west of the pipe swing gate
near the GATR road) map A8 was on
-Tank at Pioneer Mail Picnic is about =BC full, or about 200 gallons.
-San Felipe Creek map A11 is flowing well
-Barrel Spring - map A13- is flowing well
-Augua Calliente Creek map B1/B2 is flowing well
-Lost Valley Spring map B2 has water.
-The tank at Tule Spring is full to the brim - map B4
-Nance Creek is flowing well map B4, text page 81

We did not check any off trail water sources.

Trail condition report:
The trail we covered was in good shape. About 5 miles of the San Felipe
hills needs work (already scheduled for May) and the area around the San
Diego/Riverside county line was a little brushy for a couple of miles. My
thanks to Pete Fish and all his trail volunteers for the great improvement
in this section of trail since my hike in '95.=20

Other stuff:
Ticks were not too bad. Only a couple each hour on whoever was leading. No
bites.
By Hwy 74 we got within a few hours of  Scott "let it be." Another section
hiker who had talked to him said he was injured and was only able to hike
18 miles a day.=20
On 16 Apr we saw gear in Lake Morena CG that HAD to belong to a through
hiker, but didn't see the actual culprit. I didn't feel like peeking in the
showers, so we never did find out who it was.
We ran into Ben York with a  Backcountry Horsemen of California group who
were doing trail work. They fed us dinner and gave us a shower at San
Felipe creek, before we did a couple of hours of night hiking under a
waxing moon, and Hale-Bop comet.=20

Good luck to the class of '97
--
Brick Robbins