Re: [pct-l] Re: Personal safety on the trail

Craig,

I agree with almost all of what you said, except for one misquote:

>But what someone said on this list concerning this issue holds true: If
>you choose to carry a weapon of any kind, you must be prepared to use it.

You're exactly right - but that wasn't what was said.  What was said that
I disagreed with, was that "if you're in a situation where you need to
pull it on someone, then you have to use it."  Not true - but as you noted,
you have to _be prepared_ to use it.  You're right - if you're not sure you
could shoot someone if your life was threatened, don't carry a gun.  It
could be taken away and used on you.

When I do the PCT in '98, I won't be packing - too much weight. :^)

Happy hikes all!

Rick