[pct-l] re: Mark -Rivers

Mark wrote:

I'm planning on doing a solo hike from Tahoe to Mt. Whitney starting in
late June.  My main concern is about being able to ford any raging rivers -
due to all the extra snow in the Sierras. I'll have a hiking staff which
might help out in certain situations, but beyond that, ???

Here's some:

Keep your pack's hipbelt undone, so you can quickly discard it should you
fall.

Don't just attempt to cross a river where the trail meets it, but spend the
time to try to find the safest spot to cross.

If its particularly problematic, postpone the crossing until early the next
morning where flow rates will be their most minimal.

Keep your staff upstream, and use it and your legs as a tripod, as you face
upstream and move each support, one leg at a time, keeping a wide stance.

Don't cross the stream if the water is up to your knees or higher.

If you do get swept-away, face downstream and use the current, don't fight
it,to swim over to a bank.Attempt to retrieve your pack and dry-out.

If you know others are just down the trail and are needing to cross as well,
you can form a circle, like a football huddle, arms over each other and
leaning in, that makes stream crossings much more safe. I wouldn't use this
technique with less than four people though.