Re: [pct-l] more start date info

Well, thanks to freaks like Ray Jardine who published the PCT Handbook, he
points out rather clearly the pyramid of hiking style, where the peak
represents the maximum in efficiency, weight, effort, "enjoyment," etc. and
the base the ultimate low, the hapless hiker, monster pack, stress injuries,
etc..

Regardless of the opinions about My Way Ray the theory holds up. Think about
a trip in your past when you carried a knee-buckling load for any amount of
time. A day, or even months. Remember the pain? I do. Now think about a pack
that you bring with you on a winter day hike, where you may want a warm meal
at your destination before you head back. It's a fairly small load in
comparison. All you really need to add to it is some sort of sleep system and
shelter for the PCT.
My pack is roughly 3,000 cu in., internal frame 4+ pounds. Attatched Dana
Designs Wet Rib (you can easily make your own one of these but it's basically
a pocket and bottle holder on your belly/hip. You don't drink water unless
you can see it/reach it easily! the pockey holds the days
food/snacks/maps/compass/camera/etc.) 20 degree down bag, home made tarp, i
am bringing a stove, though some freak just ate food in tubes for the entire
thru hike-whatever?, titanium pot, spoon only, 15 oz. ice axe, umbrella,
sandals, running shoes, breathable wind pants, lycra shorts, poly pants, poly
t, long zip t, breathable wind shell and maybe a light fleece vest (BTW the
new REI powerstretch vest looks great! It's super light and compact compared
to most fleece items, and being mixed with lycra it protects from the wind a
bit more, too!) which is also the best pillow! Goretex where it's bad, and
triple layer if you can afford it. cheap nylon socks from Kmart that don't
soak up like a sponge like Thorlos, closed cell foam pad and a micro
headlamp, swiss army classic and trimmed down first aid kit. I could ditch
the axe, umbrella, goretex at different parts of the hike, but I'll always
carry my trekking poles.
I could carry a smaller pack but why? I'm sure I'll be using the extra room
for more tasty treats from towns.
Similar to an external frame, outside pockets are key! 2 or 3 on the outside
of an internal offer so much more versatility to the inside. tarp, fuel,
water, and whatever else will be outside the pack.
As of last week, I'm at 21 pounds dry weight with everything. With roughly 30
resupply points, I'll be resupplying every 5 days, which will equal 10-15
pounds more weight in food, but it gets lighter each day and the effort is
lessened and you walk in to town carrying just your necessities. Then you pig
out! yee haw I can't wait!

In my last few weeks I have an anal goal of reaching 17 lbs. dryweight. It
doesn't really matter but it keeps you focused on every ounce. BTW I just
sewed on a quick release buckle on my ice axe loop and it works great. I
highly recommend it to all axe users so you can grab it without taking the
pack off!

Of course, add quite a few pounds when all that water will have to be lugged,
ugh.

Hope this helps with the how and why. It's my route, but it's not for
everyone. I think it was Brick who wrote an article on "fast packing" many
years ago for backpacker magazine, too, long before Jardine.
It doesn't really matter anyway. it's just something to talk about,...

Jeremy
1 Month to Go!!!!!!!