RE: [pct-l] Hiking on a shoestring

I don't think electronics have changes hiking at all.  The junk you =
describe just doesn't cut it on the trail.  Cell phones just where not =
designed to punch out from as far a way as the trail.  GPS has some =
major reception problems.  GPS was designed for use at sea and in the =
air not for use on the ground where terrain and trees can block the =
signal.  Don't get me wrong, I'm no Luddite, but this junk just does not =
help.  The only electronic gizmo that is worth taking is a wrist watch / =
altimeter.  An altimeter can really help navigating especially when =
visibility gets poor.
The great advances in equipment have come from new fabrics.  They really =
do keep you more comfortable with less weight.  Sure army surpluss wool =
pants will keep you warm, even when wet, but fall in a river with pile =
pants and you just wring them out and they feel instantly dry and warm.
This high tech clothing is expensive to make and to buy, but their are =
ways to find it cheaply.  You can often find damaged or returned goods =
for less than half of what they started (make friends with folks at =
REI).  Check bulletin boards of out door stores and colleges (or post =
your needs).  If you live in a part of the country where a lot of hiking =
goes on try garage sales.  The best luck I've had is in the rich part of =
town.  Rich people are more likely to dump last year newest stuff before =
it wears-out.  Also making your gear is a real option.  I made a Gortex =
parka 20 years ago and it is still going strong.  A great resource is =
The Rain Shed is Corvallis, Oregon for patterns and fabric.  By buying =
customer returns and careful sale shopping my gear cost is less than =
half of retail and everything is top notch. =20