[pct-l] Re: Ice Axes

On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Ken Marlow wrote:

> Just as equally important in considering the weight of an ice axe, is giving
> it a good name. It will become your friend and mascot. Mine was named on the
> PCT as "Fred, the pup-ape".  It will humbly stand outside your tent at night
> protecting you from the really bad things that go bump in the night. If the
> weather is exceptionally bad, you can shake it at the clouds. Not only can
> you use it for self-arrest or as a third leg (if its long enough) during
> stream crossings, but its a great replacement for a trowel (hence it really
> gets intimate with you). For refreshing entertainment, you can slip the
> handle of your Sierra cup through the head of the axe, and dip water out of
> the stream without bending over (try this only on gentle streams at first).
> It can be used as a driver when attempting a birdie with pine cones.
>      So name your ice axe. Console it on rainy nights. Sign for it at the
> registers.

Getting pretty silly, aren't we? Why should I personify my ice axe when I
already have my plastic pink flamigo (Fifi) to keep me comfy. She's been
known to stand guard outside my tent preventing alien abductions no
doubt. While the Sierra cup trick won't work, her legs will work to cook
your steak over a fire if say, you have no grill. Oh, yes she was named
out on the trail.

I heard on the news the other day that 1997 is the 50th anniversary of
the plastic pink flamigo. This wasn't nearly as surprising as the fact
that someone actually keeps track.

So my ice axe will remain unnamed but then again I'm kind of a product of
a bad childhood. My dad spent many an afternoon working in the garden
wearing a leaderhosen. This wasn't a problem until one day my friends saw
him and gave me no end of grief.

Anyway, thanks for the laugh. I needed it this afternoon. 51 more days
before the trail. Sigh...

-Karl

Karl Brandt                             Center for Integrated Systems
brandt@kibo.stanford.edu                Via Ortega Rd.
(415) 725-3686                          Stanford, CA 94305-4070
http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~kbrandt/