Re: [pct-l] Hi, and some questions

Ice Ax::  I used one from Camp that weighed about 20 oz.  I asked REI to
mail order for me since Camp doesn't deal directly to the public.

Food: Caloric intake.  As you used up your reserves, you'll have to
start eating more and you'll adjust.  I started out at 160 lbs, got
sick, went down to 150 lbs, consuming about 3,500 calories a day from
the beginning, going about 18 - 20 miles.  For 20 - 25 miles, I needed
about 4,000 calories per day.  Beyond 25 miles, I tried to eat at least
4,500 calories per day.  And it's a lot of work.  Stomach gotten
smaller, could not eat much in one sitting.  I remember once after a 25+
mile day,  waking up at 2:00 AM  to finish my dinner which I started
eating at 7:00 PM.  But I was determined not to lose any weight and when
I got to Manning Park, I wa at about 150 lbs.  In general, about 300-400
calories per hour hiking.  As your muscles developed, you'll also need
more calories to feed them to maintain the rigors that you'll be putting
them through.