[pct-l] Re: Sleeping bag "upgrade" question

Mike,

>I purchased a 10 F, down bag last year to use on the PCT.  Now I want to do
>some winter hiking and need a bag for -20 to 0 F trips.  Is there a way to
>"upgrade" ("downgrade"?) my bag to be usable at those lower temperatures?
>
>I realize that I could get a liner and/or a bivy sack, but would either of
>them really add that much more insulating power?
>
>I want to try to avoid purchasing another bag if possible.

There are a lot of factors involved here.  I'll try to address some practical
solutions, as I like to use cheap alternatives if possible myself.

First, you didn't say what kind of shelter you will use, tent or snow shelter.
Generally, a tent will add about 10 degrees of comfort to the outdoors temp,
while a snow cave/igloo will have an indoor temp of around freezing, and though
very damp and not good for down on a long term basis, will work for the bag
you already have.  The key I have found is using 2 pads, a foam pad with a
Thermarest or other insulated blow-up pad.  Make sure the foam pad is full body
length; it is not so important for the Thermarest that it be full body length
though it is nicer.  Also, you can extend the range of the bag by (obviously)
putting on more clothes, though some folks swear by being buck naked (not me!),
placing a leak-proof canteen filled with hot water in your bag before you go to
bed, and also eating a big meal just before turning in so that your body will
crank out the heat.  If you are talking occasional -10 or below, these might
work for you, but in the long run, you just can't beat a winter bag.  When the
temp gets down to -20 or below, you will probably be wondering just what you
are doing out there to begin with.  Believe me, it is hard to inspire yourself
to get out of the bag at these temperatures, let alone go do something.
Finally, if you don't want to spend much, you might be able to find an overbag
that adds a few inches of loft, either new (bucks here) or used at an outdoor
swap or even Salvation Army (I don't know about the SA where you live, but mine
here in Anchorage has all sorts of gems, including down parkas for about $20 on
occasion).  Look for a bag that will easily slip over your bag, like a glove on
your hand, so it doesn't compress the loft you have.  I highly recommend the
snow shelter approach if possible, especially above treeline, since you are not
only warmer inside but there will be none of that incessant tent flapping in
the wind; also it is much safer to cook in - tents can burn down in a few
seconds but I have yet to see an igloo burn down...

Alan