Re: [pct-l] Sleeping bag "upgrade" question

In a message dated 97-01-15 16:58:51 EST, mzuber@jeeves.ucsd.edu (Michael E.
Zuber) wrote:

<< I purchased a 10 F, down bag last year to use on the PCT.  Now I want to
do
 some winter hiking and need a bag for -20 to 0 F trips.  Is there a way to
 "upgrade" ("downgrade"?) my bag to be usable at those lower temperatures?

 I realize that I could get a liner and/or a bivy sack, but would either of
 them really add that much more insulating power? >>

If you are still considering "upgrading" your bag, I have a friend who sent
his bag back to the manufacturer to have the down replaced. He thought it had
"lost it effectiveness" over the years.  While he was at it, he asked if they
could add enough down to provide warmth at lower temps than the original.
They can do that; they just add a little more down filling. One thing to
anticipate though. The bag will no longer fit in it's original stuff sack so
you might as well order one of those from the manufacturer also.

Charlie