[pct-l] Re: Wearing Your Sleeping System, Campy Fashions, & Trail Fest

Who says "HARD CORE BACKPACKERS & MT. MEN" cannot look and feel "FABULOUS"?

Sunday last I walked the LA Marathon in my new Macabi for Men hiking skirt and felt "FABULOUS" all the way.

I wish I had seen Switchback's info on the Mission Inn a week ago though. Just think how WONDERFUL I would have felt and looked after a "Heated Stone Therapy massage, a Roman Rosemary Scrub, and a Gentleman's Nail Grooming treatment".

This is a very comfortable garment and I will use it on the trail. Real "HARD CORE BACKPACKERS & MT. MEN" are not afraid of bearded old, balding fat guys in a skirt. Are they?

I also wore a new from the box pair of NB 809's which was not the smartest move. They seem heavier than last years 808's and needed about 26 miles of breaking in which they now have. I replaced the stock insoles with my well used Super Feet at about 8 miles. I have read comments here before to the effect that NB shoes lack adequate support for hiking and I agree that this is so with the stock insoles. They work well for me with aftermarket insoles and my feet LOVE the 4E width.

Between the moderately stiff shoes and using trekking poles I added an hour to last years time but I plodded on through and it was a fun outing as always. It is a bit different experience than a solo trail walk (that could be an understatement).

This event transpired prior to Switchback and GPB's ultra-lightweight trail food revolution which was just as well.  I cannot imagine trying to herd a bevy of even well trained and trail hardened chickens in a crowd of 25,000 even though the almonds and stuff I carried to snack on did get heavy over time.

This will be a fashion watershed year. Trail towns will experience a surge in demand for men's beauty treatments and outfitters will not be able to keep silk garments and men's skirts in stock. Humm..... Maybe this is the year to invent the portable hiker's spa and apparel shop. Maybe I can lease a trail helium balloon from Switchback to float it from camp to camp. I wonder if chickens are afraid of heights or are prone to altitude sickness? It would be tragic to have to bail at Whitney Portal because of neurotic or edematous foul.

Dave Woods
Camp Pedicurist & Trail Apparel Peddler

"What me Worry" - Alfred E. Newman

Message: 29