[pct-l] Mile 518.4 - Hikertown (yogi)

I feel in fairness, I need to say that my experience at Hikertown last year
was wonderful. My husband, son and dog and I were section hiking from Agua
Dulce to Walker Pass in late April-early May last year, 2005. I had promised
Asabat to update the water report. We had not planned to stop at Hikertown
because we had water and really had no reason to stop but I took the time to
detour to check the water faucet at the end of the Hikertown property. There
was no water! So we went inside the gate and eventually found Bob Mayon. He
invited to stay awhile, have a soda, use the computer and let the dog (Mr.
Cody) off the leash. We did all of this! What happened next would try the
patience of most people but Bob just laughed and indeed, treated us with
nothing but respect and kindness.

As we stood topping off our water bottles I heard a terrible racket from
across the yard. Imagine my horror at seeing my border collie (just past
puppyhood) running across the yard with chicken (yes, chicken!) feathers
flying all over and a full sized hen in his mouth! It seems dogs know where
to find a meal when their owners keep them on a diet! Anyway, all 4 of us
ran straight at him screaming and the poor animal (dog, that is) dropped the
bird with a look of total bewilderment, ?you mean you didn?t leave that out
for me?? Fortunately, the bird was unharmed and all was well. Bob as I said
earlier was very kind. There was no weirdness, no strange vibes. As we left,
his parting words were that he would try to get the hose fixed, but that
folks were welcome to come in and get water as needed.

And before any of you start on the merits (or lack there of) of taking a
dog, Mr. Cody was invited to wander free?there were other dogs in the yard
with whom he played and I didn?t spot the chickens until the deed was done!

Jo