[pct-l] Sheetmetal screws (was Crampons) vs YAKTRAXX

--- matt maxon <matt@mattmaxon.com> wrote:

> I'd go for this over the Yaktraxx.
>
> I had / have a pair of Yaktraxx no good for the
> trail IMO, other than flat
> trail, worse than nothing. Just good enough to get
> you into real trouble.

Yaktraxx also makes the Yaxtraxx Pro just for the
above reason. They are much sturdier than the (IMO)
useless original Yaktraxx, Many of the trail runners
around her elike the Pro.

The screw shoes are better, BUT, not many thru-hikers
are going to have access to a power drill. ;)

Now my take on this: I did the Sierra in running
shoes. I tried to time going over the passes between
late morning and mid-afternoon. The snow was soft and
I went up and over very easily.  I'm lazy; I like Ma
Nature to do the work for me!

In all fairness, because of living in Colorado and
being a four season outdoors person, felt more
confident on the snow than a less experienced person.
YMMV -literally! :)

If you want a baseline for my Sierra experience, go
to:
http://snipurl.com/nx6m
I left Kennedy Meadows on June 7th.

--Thoreau