[pct-l] Solo Hiking

>>In 2004, from Crater Lake north Manning Park I hiked
>>four days with others,
>>and hiked 45 days alone. I would have prefered more
>>time with others.

>>Early in my PCT hike I looked forward to the
solitude, >>with the hope of
>>clearing the mind and spiritual contemplation.
However >>for me, this was
>>incompatible with hiking 20 miles a day.

Interesting contrast to my own experiences. I find
when I am hiking 20 miles or more per day I do more
thinking. The more I walk, the more I think. Something
about the pace of 3 MPH makes me get into a meditative
state.  Even on my long runs that I do every so often
(which are slow), tend to get into this state.

All my long hikes have been solo affairs; I rarely
partner up with people lockstep. I may camp with
people (e.g the High Sierra and desert sections come
to mind on the PCT), but can be content with myself.

When I did the Colorado Trail, I usually just passed
people and talked briefly. Granted, that was only 20
days..but trail time dilates.

The real test of my solitude comes this summer when I
attempt the CDT going SoBo. Seems this is the NoBo
year for the CDT. Even by the lonely standards of the
CDT, I will be going even the more lonely route. :)

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com