[pct-l] Re: The Trail Con

I had not thought of it like that. The usually problem is that people want to help but provide the wrong kinds of help. Yogiing is more like directing the help they want to give in a way that suits everyone involved. In the form of bingo it is just a fun pastime. I keep forgetting that we currently live in a violent world full of people. On the trail it changes. Goodwill is possible and fun is the goal.

Chance

Hiker97@aol.com wrote:     chancepctcdt@yahoo.com  writes:
 What we    really need is an application of Ent's idea (PCT 2003) of Yogi Bingo. This    would be the activity of getting non thru hikers to give us stuff without    directly asking for it. Yogied items might include: energy bars / candy bars /    common hiker foods / water / rides at trail heads / information of various    kinds / etc.  ---------------------------------------------------------
 Actually, that is a better idea.  Remember the movie the Sting with  Paul Newman and Robert Redford?  That was cool how they had all these  different kinds of cons.  That is right up Trail Pirate and Camp Ruffian  alley.  We would only use the term "con" among ourselves.  We would  say to the Greenhorns and non hikers that it is just an opportunity for others  to provide some charitable Trail Angel support.  An opportunity for others  to feel good about themselves for helping others in need.   Coooool...........taking advantaged of good natured people, who do not know they  have been had.  "Yes, I Yogied a bunch of folks in the last trail  town.  I cleaned them out.  You might as well skip ahead to the next  resupply."

 I see a whole new aspect of the  trail con opening up for me.  I can look pretty forlorn and down trodden  when I want to.  Of course, most of the time when I am out on the trail or  in town it is not an act.

 Then again, all the above is a  con for you from me.   :-)

 Your hiking buddy,  Switchback
  Trail Husker & Camp  3-Card Monte Expert

Yahoo! Mail